Questions about our service

Is Please Connect Me a free service?

Our service is completely free – you can even save money with our exclusive offers!

I have registered. When will I hear back from you?

Once we have your details, you’ll get a link to book a call at a time that works for you.

We’ll run our comprehensive check on your new address before your appointment.

Why do you need to call me?

For many registrations, compulsory information must be relayed via a recorded call. Wherever possible, we will always try to complete your registrations in the way that suits you best.

How long does it take?

It takes about 20-30 minutes to cover all your utilities and services. You can schedule your call at the time that works best for you.

Who'll be calling me?

Your move will be handled by a dedicated Connections Expert, a member of our team who knows the process of moving home inside-out. 

Your Connections Expert will be the person on your call, and you’ll be able to contact them during and after your move if you need help with any other services. 

What happens on a call?

We’ll set up all your essential services and answer any questions you might have. We can place orders for certain services  and refer you to our partners for specialty advice. 

What do I need to do before the call?

No prior preparation is required as our friendly Connections Experts will explain everything to you on the call.

Can I choose the suppliers I want?

Of course! Wherever there’s an option of supplier we can help you register with a provider of your choice.

We’ll also make personal recommendations for your best options based on your needs.

Can I track my move?

Via our dashboard, you can view the progress of your setup in real-time and contact our support team in just a few taps.

What information do you need?

All we need to start our process is your name, contact information, new address and a few details about your move.

During your call we’ll confirm anything your supplier need for your bills.

Questions about energy

Why haven't I received my opening bills?

It can take up to six weeks from the beginning of your residency for you to receive your first bills – these will always come by post.

If we have completed your registration for you and you don’t hear back within six weeks let us know – we’ll follow up with your energy suppliers to check there haven’t been any problems with the registration


Why is my first bill higher than I expected?
Your opening bill may be for a period longer than one month, especially if you set a different payment date to the start date of your occupancy. At the top of the bill you should see the date period it’s covering, if this is more than a month then your bill will be higher than usual.

It is possible that your energy supplier did not receive or use your opening meter readings in calculating your bill. You can check this on your opening bill by looking in the section labelled ‘Your Usage’ or ‘How your charges have been calculated’. Your supplier should indicate what opening meter readings they have used and whether these are estimates. If the readings used do not match your opening meter readings you should reach out to them directly and ask them to generate a new bill based on the correct readings.

If your supplier has used your opening meter readings but the bill is still higher than expected then this may be because the previous occupier of the property used more energy than you. Initial energy bills are based on an estimation of your monthly use, so by submitting regular meter readings you can have your bill adjusted to reflect your actual usage. You will never overpay for your energy as your bills will be adjusted through the year based on use, and any extra credit on your account will be returned to you at the end of your contract.


What's an energy pre-payment meter?
Most energy suppliers customers an option to pay in advance for their energy through a pre-payment meter, and these meters are also sometimes fitted in the event of missed or late energy bill payments.

With a pre-payment or pre-pay meter fitted you are required to top up your meter with credit before using any energy, rather than paying a bill for your total usage at the end of the month. Depending on the supplier and model of meter you may add this credit through a key, a card, online or through an app.

Pre-pay meters charge more for the same energy usage as credit meters, and can be inconvenient to keep in credit, so many people moving to a property with a pre-pay meter installed will want to have it removed. The quickest way to do this is to approach your energy supplier – they should be able to replace the meter for free if it was fitted before you move in. You may be asked to pay a deposit or for a few months of energy use in advance. If your supplier refuses to replace the meter, we would recommend switching to a supplier who will as pre-pay meters are always more expensive than credit.

Why have I received bills addressed to someone else?
Bills addressed to ‘resident’ or ‘the occupier’ are sent out as soon as a house is empty, you can ignore these if we’re handling your registrations unless it’s been more than six weeks since your move.

Pass on any bills addressed to other occupants to the property owner or return them marked ‘not at this address’.


What's the energy price cap?
The energy price cap is the maximum amount that suppliers can charge per unit of gas and electricity on their standard tariffs, although it’s usually expressed as the annual amount the average household would pay.


You can read more about how the price cap will affect your bills and what the current price cap is here. 


What's an economy 7 meter?
An Economy 7 meter is an energy meter that measures your usage at two rates, a higher day rate and a cheaper night rate. You should be able to see both readings by pressing the button on the front of the meter, and you should report both readings to your supplier so you can be billed accurately. 
The exact times your ‘Night’ rate applies will depend on your specific tariff, but it is usually a seven-hour period between 10.30 pm and 8.30 am. The period your night rate applies, and your specific day and night tariffs, are available online through your account with your supplier, and will also be included in the first bill you receive by post. 
If you’d prefer, your energy supplier can use your meter to charge you a single rate for electricity by switching to a single rate tariff. 
Why did my energy payment suddenly change?
Usually, your energy bills are an average of the amount you pay through the year so you don’t have a jump in payments in the winter.

If your payments have suddenly changed it might be because you submitted new meter readings, a new billing cycle has begun, or because the energy price cap has changed.


My electricity isn't working - what should I do?
Electricity and gas are very rarely disconnected in the UK – even in cases of missed bill payments suppliers will fit a pre-payment meter rather than disconnect a property. 

Your electricity supply will only be stopped at your property if there is an emergency that requires it to be disconnected, or a larger problem in your general area. If you do not have electricity at home, your first step should be to call 105. This is the UK power cut helpline, and their agents will be able to tell you if there is a problem in your area and when it will be resolved. 
If your energy network distributor does not have a record of a power outage in your area you should contact the building management or property owner to check if work is being carried out on the property or in the neighbouring area. They should be able to advise you as to why you do not currently have electricity. 
How are my energy bills calculated?
Your energy bill is based on the amount of energy you use and a daily standing charge, according to your tariff.

You can find the specifics of your tariff on your energy bill, or through your online account.

As long as you provide meter readings, you’ll always pay for the energy you use.


My gas, hot water or heating isn't working - what should I do?
Electricity and gas are very rarely disconnected in the UK – even in cases of missed bill payments suppliers will fit a pre-payment meter rather than disconnect a property. 

Similarly, your property should only be disconnected from the gas supply used for hot water and heating in an emergency, but when a property is empty the gas supply is sometimes capped to prevent it from being wasted. If you have just moved in and have no gas supply, hot water or heating you should speak to your building management or landlord, who should be able to remove this cap.
Otherwise, if your supply of hot water or your heating system stops suddenly it is likely to be a problem with your building supply or boiler. In this case, you should reach out to your landlord or property manager who will be able to organise repairs, or a plumber directly if you’re a homeowner. 

Questions about water

How will I be billed for water?
Your water will be charged based on your usage, or based on national averages, depending on whether or not you have a water meter installed. You’ll begin receiving monthly paper bills once you’ve been registered, or you can switch to paperless online billing.

You can see the details of whether your property is metered or unmetered on your bills or through your online account.

Why are there no water companies in Scotland?
In Scotland, bills for water are included as part of your Council Tax payments and your water supply is managed by your local authority. 
Why is my water bill for six months?
Water is traditionally billed every six months, which is how often your supplier will take or request a meter reading.

If you’d prefer to pay every month you can set up recurring payments online for no extra cost.

I don't have any water - what should I do?
Your water service should never be disconnected because of billing or registration issues. If you have no water supply, you should first contact your landlord or building management to check there is no maintenance being done at the property. Otherwise, you can contact your water supplier to report the fault and check if work is being done in your area.
When am I responsible for the water at my property?
You only have to pay for the water used at your property after you move in, not from the date your legal responsibility starts.

When you first move in, take a meter reading if you can so you don’t pay for anyone else’s water use.

Why haven't I received my opening bill?
It can take up to six weeks from the beginning of your residency for you to receive your first bills – these will always come by post.

If we have completed your registration for you and you don’t hear back within six weeks let us know and we’ll follow up with your water supplier to check there haven’t been any problems.

Questions about council tax

What is sole occupant discount?
If you’re the only person over the age of 16 who is not in full-time education living at your address, you qualify for a 25% discount on your Council Tax.

The easiest way to claim this is to open an online account using the property reference in your first bill and apply directly for the single occupant discount.

Why haven't I received a bill yet?
It can take up to six weeks from the beginning of your residency for you to receive your first bills – these will always come by post.

If we have completed your registration for you and you don’t hear back within six weeks let us know and we’ll follow up with your local authority to check there haven’t been any problems.

What's student tax exemption?
If you’re in full-time education in the UK you are exempt from Council Tax. You still need to register with your local Council, but once your account is set up you can register for exemption and you won’t be billed.

If one person living in the house is not a full-time student you’ll instead get a 25% sole occupant discount. If there are two or more non-students you will have to pay the full Council Tax value.

When am I responsible for Council Tax?
You are responsible for Council Tax payments from the day your legal responsibility begins – usually your completion date or tenancy start date. This applies even if you will not be moving into the property immediately.
Why is my bill for a whole year?
Your local authority will issue your first council bill with the total for the whole year, but you have a range of payment options available to you.

Set up an online account using the property reference number you have received in your first bill and through your Council’s online platform you should see the option to pay in regular monthly or quarterly instalments, which will divide the annual cost into equal direct debits. There is no additional charge for dividing your payment through the year like this.

Why have I received a bill addressed to someone else?
Bills addressed to ‘resident’ or ‘the occupier’ are sent out as soon as a house is empty. As it can take a while for local authorities to process a move-in, you can ignore these if we’re handling your registrations unless it’s been more than six weeks since your move.

Pass on any bills addressed to other occupants to the property owner or return them marked ‘not at this address’.

Questions about broadband & TV

Why is my first bill higher than expected?
Your first monthly bill will often include all or part of the set-up costs of your account, or may sometimes cover a period slightly longer than a month if you have requested a regular payment date that’s different from the date the service goes live.

If you’re ever unsure about your internet bill you can check your online account, where you’ll see a breakdown of the last bill you were sent and what each part of it was for.

Do Virgin Media offer TV only packages?

No, Virgin Media only offer TV services to customers who also take broadband from them as they provide TV through their broadband infrastructure.

If you would like a cable TV package with no internet we would recommend Sky as they use a satellite system for TV that is independent of your broadband. 

What internet speed can I get?
Across the UK, different network infrastructure offers internet speeds that range from <3 mb/s to over 900 mb/s. The internet speed you can get will depend on the networks in your area, but with dozens of independent providers installing their networks across the country you may have great speeds available from a company you’d never think to check.

If you want to find out all your options for internet then book a call with one of our agents today and we’ll run comprehensive checks to find which providers can offer you the best service at the best price.

Why does an internet supplier need to drill through my walls?
Internet signals travel through physical cables into your home via your router, which needs a direct connection to your internet provider’s network. While most houses in the UK will already have access to at least one network, if a particular supplier’s infrastructure has not been set up previously it may be necessary for the company to complete an installation and drill an access hole through which they can supply your service. If you are not the property owner you will need to confirm their permission for this before the installation can go ahead.
Do I need to have a TV license?
A TV license is a legal requirement in the UK if you are watching any live broadcast TV, or if you are streaming BBC iPlayer. Otherwise, you do not need a license to watch recorded programs on DVD or streaming services like Netflix.

Some common examples would be – if you do not have a satellite dish but stream live sports matches through Sky Go you would need a TV license.  If you use a games console connected to a TV set to watch All 4 and ITV Player catch up but not iPlayer and not live broadcasts you would not need a license. If you tune your TV and receive Freeview broadcasts and watch them, you would need a license.

Questions about mobile

Why do you recommend the mobile providers you use?
Please Connect Me are all about matching you to the right suppliers for your specific requirements. We recommend mobile providers who offer great coverage at a competitive price, and for our clients who are new to the UK we will also make sure to recommend options who don’t require any UK credit history.
Can I get broadband and mobile from the same supplier?
Some of the UK’s biggest broadband providers also have fantastic mobile packages, so if you’d save by taking both together and the services are available to you then we can set up both services under one account.

We also look at all the options you have available to you though, and if you could get a better deal by using different providers we’ll also let you know – it’s always up to you to decide which suppliers you’d like to go for.

Questions about moving in

How can I get a pass to park in a controlled parking zone (CPZ)?

If your property is in a controlled parking zone (CPZ) you will need your Council property reference number as proof of address. This will be included in your first Council Tax bill, or you can call your local authority to register and get the number over the phone.

Once you have this reference you can apply for a parking pass through your local Council’s website.

What's the fastest way to get proof of address?
In our experience, the fastest way to get a piece of post that will serve as proof of address is to call your local council directly. Not only will they be able to issue a welcome bill that you can use but they will also be able to tell you your property reference number over the phone, which serves as proof of address for things like parking passes and school enrollment.

© Please Connect Me

Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions

Stay updated

© Please Connect Me

Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions

Our Services










About us





Support centre

Cookies settings

Sign up to our newsletter
For exclusive offers, money saving tips & more