Are you paying too much for council tax?

Mar 1, 2018 | Council Tax, Services


Did you know that there are an estimated 400,000 households who overpay for their council tax? That’s right, you may be eligible for a rebate. This is because your house may have been placed in an incorrect band when it was registered. So how do you find out whether you are eligible to reduce your council tax payments?


Step 1

First, you should check if your house is in a higher band than similar properties in your neighbourhood. You can easily do this by clicking on this link.


If your neighbours in similar properties are in a lower band than you, then you might have a claim.


Step 2

Next, you should check the valuation of your house in 1991 – when the council tax bands were defined. The best way to do this is to use a website that offers fee historic price information, like Zoopla or Rightmove. Then you should compare the estimated value for your house in 1991 with the chart below. If your estimated house price in 1991 is lower than the property value for your council tax band, then you could be eligible for a discount.


Council tax bands at 1991 property value

A All properties under £40,000 All properties under £27,000
B £40,001 – £52,000 £27,001 – £35,000
C £52,001 – £68,000 £35,001 – £45,000
D £68,001 – £88,000 £45,001 – £58,000
E £88,001 – £120,000 £58,001 – £80,000
F £120,001 – £160,000 £80,001 – £106,000
G £160,001 – £320,000 £106,001 – £212,000
H over £320,000 Over £212,000


But beware! You should only challenge your council tax if you believe you have a strong case. Make sure you do all your research before challenging your council tax band.

For instance, if your home is in a higher band than neighbouring properties, this could be because the other houses are in the wrong band, not yours. The result could be that everyone else on the street will end up with higher council tax payments and you won’t be very popular (this has happened before!).


Step 3

The final step is to challenge your tax band! Use this link to submit a challenge against your council tax


If the council accepts your appeal then your council tax bill will be reduced, and you should also be refunded for any months in the property where you paid the higher rate of council tax.




Never stress about moving again.

All your utilities sorted. For free.

Sign up with your new address